Isn’t it funny how much easier it is to grow weeds in your yard here in Glendale AZ than the plants that you actually pay for and want to grow? If you work really hard with your weed wacker and weed killer sprays and waste your back and knees every weekend you CAN stay out in front of the problem. But the weed control sprays you get at Home Depot or Lowes are expensive and pulling weeds is absolutely no fun – ever.
Weeds grow extremely well here in the Glendale AZ area. We provide all of the water that they need in our expensive landscapes and mother nature takes care of the rest. Having weeds in your yard really requires zero effort on your part. Getting rid of and preventing weeds from taking over is a whole different story. Various species of weeds develop a resistance to herbicides and weed barrier fabrics, cloths and plastics don’t work well at all – especially over the long haul. Weeding your yard is not a once per year project. It’s something that needs to be looked at and managed just about every weekend. Unless, that is, you have a really good weed control program in place. And any really good weed control program will enlist three basic components:
- Pre-emergent herbicides are applied and soaked in to the top couple of inches of soil. These products prevent new seeds that land in the yard from germinating and will last about 6 months, depending on the mix rate and various environmental factors. The use of a good pre-emergent herbicide is an absolute must for long term weed control.
- Post-emergent herbicides are applied directly to weeds that have already germinated and emerged from the ground. They are generally systemic and will work throughout the plant, killing the roots as well.
- A warranty so that if the weeds come back during the warranty period, the weed control company will, too – for free.
A weed is described as any plant that is growing where it is unwanted, invasive or out of place. Weed control is the process of attempting to stop weeds from competing with or damaging the desired plants that are in any landscape setting. Basically, these weeds fall into two categories:
- Broad leaf Weeds: Some of the more common broad leaf weeds in the Glendale AZ area are bur clover, cheeseweed, goosefoot, London rocket, pigweed, prostate spurges, puncturevine, purslane, silver nightshade and tumbleweed (Russian Thistle).
- Grass type weeds: Here are the more common grass type weeds in the Glendale AZ area: Bermuda grass, bromegrass, crabgrass, common foxtail, Johnson grass, nutgrass (which isn’t actually a grass), and orchardgrass.
Like many plants, most weeds distribute their seeds a few different ways including via the wind and rain, or by a variety of animals and birds. And they’ll harbor all sorts of critters. Most species of weeds can be successful just about anywhere they land and require little water and absolutely no attention. Don’t you wish that roses, tomatoes and blueberries were that easy to grow?
Really good weed control is worth the effort and money. You get to do whatever it is that you want to do with your time off and you don’t have to worry about getting an HOA warning or fine for overgrown weeds in your yard. It’s really a no-brainer. Reach out and let us give you a free quote on a guaranteed weed-free yard today.